The Primal Tactical Personal Defense Readiness™ (PDR) curriculum is based on the research and teachings of Tony Blauer and Blauer Tactical Systems® – known as the SPEAR System™.
My personal defense courses include SPEAR System™ fundamentals, tools for detecting and avoiding danger, defusion techniques, legal and ethical considerations, effective counter attacks, fear management and more. The classes combine lecture, discussion, drills and [in full-day and advanced classes] use force-on-force scenarios where students test what they have learned in mock "real-life" scenarios.
You may wonder how the Personal Defense Readiness™ course differs from other self-defense programs.
About the Personal Defense Readiness™ Program
You will learn how to protect yourself and your loved ones by:
- Detecting and avoiding potentially dangerous situations and confrontations
- Defusing confrontations before they escalate
You will learn to defend yourself simply and effectively using what your body is already designed and equipped to do:
- Discovering the power of your physiology
- Trusting the startle-flinch reflex to intercept an attack
- Employing your natural protective tools against your attacker
You will learn how to:
- Manage fear
- Trust your instincts and intuition
- Devalue yourself as a target
- Understand the psychology and motivations of an attacker
You will develop the ability to:
- Respond faster by creating a mental blueprint of common methods of attack
- Connect the primitive brain's survival response to your modern brain's cognitive power
You will develop true confidence by:
- Experiencing realistic training scenarios that allow you to learn in three dimensions – mentally, emotionally and physically
- Working with a role-player in protective gear that allows you to pressure-test your defensive skills with true force and impact
As a PDR™ coach certified by Blauer Tactical Systems (BTS), I am part of a growing team of coaches teaching PDR™ to individuals and communities around the world. Our mission is to provide people of all ages the highest quality self defense training in order to make themselves and their communities safer.
About My Affiliation with Blauer Tactical Systems
Tony Blauer is founder and CEO of Blauer Tactical Systems. His research and training methodologies have influenced and inspired martial art & combative systems around the world since 1988.
BTS is one of the world’s leading consulting firms specializing in research & development of combative training & equipment for the military, law enforcement and self-defense communities.
Blauer Tactical Systems® research of the startle/flinch phenomenon and its link to the survival system’s withdrawal reflex has spawned one of the most important evolutions in close quarter training: the SPEAR SYSTEM™, which uses the speed and reliability of the startle/flinch mechanism to convert the sudden attack into a tactical counter. Most importantly, this system does not interfere with any martial arts training and is easily used as a bridge to any complex motor skill transition.
The SPEAR SYSTEM™ is a ‘behaviorally’ researched, close quarter personal defense method that uses the body’s natural flinches and reactions to fear or violence and then converts these reactions into efficient tactical choices. Because the system is “Genetically wired and behaviorally inspired™”, anybody can learn it and everybody can do it.
The result of over two decades of scientific research, the SPEAR SYSTEM™ is so direct and efficient that it is currently being adopted by major law enforcement and military training units across the globe.
(SPEAR System and PDR descriptions by BTS and used with permission)
The SPEAR SYSTEM™ is considered the world’s first and only behaviorally-based close self-defense system. It is based on science, psychology and human bio-mechanics. It uses hard-wired reflexes to enhance personal defense by improving anyone’s ability to detect, intercept, and defend a sudden close quarter ambush. The SPEAR System is not a martial art nor does it replace other martial art systems. SPEAR is the study of human movement as it relates to violence, fear and aggression.
Training in the SPEAR System will teach anyone:
● How to reconnect to the human weapon system.
● That 80% of confrontations could have been avoided.
● The Three D’s: How to to detect danger, how to defuse and de-escalate and, if push
comes to shove, to defend.
● A simple and practical system that’s congruent with your emotional psychological
state during a confrontation.
The SPEAR system can be used by anyone looking for a simple and effective system of
The Blauer SPEAR System’s approach to self defense will reawaken your situational
awareness and teach you a patented approach to identifying and managing fear; the
program includes an effective verbal de-escalation system and the most raw and direct
approach to personal defense using natural bio-mechanics.
These articles and videos are but a few of the excellent resources available from Blauer Tactical Systems. I encourage you to check them out!
Men's Fitness feature on SPEAR and PDR
The SPEAR System
The Economics of Violence
SPEAR System Application for Personal Defense
Overcome Fear and Protect Yourself in Any Situation
The True Self Defense System